Sunday, March 1, 2015

My first blog post!

I've been a blogger of sorts since the 7th grade when I tried my angsty hand at "Teen Open Diary" and "Live Journal." During high school I wrote daily chronicles of my life in my trusty Xanga, and then moved onto a more professional blog during student teaching. However, since student teaching is pretty much soul-draining, especially when you're also working a 2nd job at nights, I only ended up blogging for a few weeks.
Now I'm a fifth year teacher and three grad classes away from getting my Masters in Reading, so I have slightly (emphasis on SLIGHTLY) more free time to blog! Anyone who knows me personally knows I'm an Internet addict, and am very involved in most aspects of social media. I decided it was finally time to write a blog about my adult teaching life! I've been told numerous times throughout my turbulent, ever changing first 4.5 years of teaching to write a book because of all the eccentric experiences I've had. I really don't have time for that, but maybe after I successfully make it out of grad school alive!

I currently teach a self-contained kindergarten-2nd grade class of special education students with significant behavioral needs. You can definitely guess that I never have a dull moment in my room, or in my hallway EVER! 

My blog role model is Love, Teach, but sadly I'm never going to be able to be as awesome as her because this blog isn't anonymous. I can't tell my very best stories on here due to protecting my previous schools and my students. I really like her voice on her blog though and how she makes hysterical, absolutely relatable lists of things like "9 ways to survive when your school heater is the worst", and "7 things you really need this teacher appreciation week." Maybe someday I'll become as funny and creative as her?? I can dream.

I'll leave you with this one piece of wisdom. You haven't truly been initiated as a teacher until the janitor comes to tell you one of the students has been washing his hands with the urinal cake. If you can keep a straight face in front of your class after hearing that, you're ready for anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment