Sunday, March 15, 2015

Read Across America

Sorry I haven't had time to post in forever! I have been drowning in work for my grad class, AND I'm moving in 3 weeks.

Last week was one of my favorite weeks at school, Read Across America week! We spent the week doing fun-filled Seuss activities. We ended up actually having 3 snow days, so our Seuss activities ran over into the beginning of this week as well.
Clipart courtesy of the amazing 3am Teacher!

I tried to remember to take pictures of everything we did, but since I work with kids who need individual support pretty much all the time, it was hard to remember!

Here are some of the things we did:

We read the Foot Book and learned about non-standard units of measurement. I was so excited we were able to tie in what they're doing in their Investigations math unit to a fun Seuss activity! We took our shoes/socks off and we traced our feet and then measured them with cubes, paper clips, and a ruler. Then, we compared our non-standard units to the standard units on the ruler. My kids have big feet!

We also read Oh The Thinks You Can Think and put on our creative thinking caps to think up our own "thinks!" My kids got pretty silly and wrote about things like being able to fly with arms that shoot out fire, and seeing flying cars.
We watched a read aloud video of Oh The Places You'll Go and talked about what we want to be when we grow up. My kids did a great job writing about their future careers and then we took pictures in our rhyming -at words hats to add to our hot air balloons and hung them from the ceiling.

We had a few minutes between specials and lunch one day, so we did a spelling fishing for letters game on Seussville's website. (If you haven't checked it out, I highly recommend it!) 
And of course, a Seuss week wouldn't be complete without making oobleck! My kids absolutely LOVED it...but it made a huge, HUGE mess so I have very limited photos due to damage control during the activity!
My dishwasher is now full of endless containers we filled with oobleck. :)

We did TONS more reading, writing, and math activities related to Seuss, but I unfortunately don't have time to snap pictures all the time!

Stay tuned for another entry about how I completely rearranged my classroom for the 765432th time this school year. I absolutely LOVE this layout though, so maybe I'll keep it until the end of the year! I'm constantly changing my room when I get new kids/lose kids to meet the ever changing needs of my crew.




1 comment:

  1. Hi Laurie, I love your blog! I'm currently hosting a giveaway and was hoping you would be so kind to donate a product. It's a fundraiser for Autism that will take place from April 1 -30. Please hop on over to my blog for more info.
    Thanks!!
    -Melanie
    Teacher’s Lounge

    ReplyDelete